The Southern Maryland Association of REALTORS® opens doors to our members, offering a range of services, including training, tools and timely answers to support your success.
When you join SMAR, you become a REALTOR®, a member of the Maryland Association of REALTORS® and the National Association of REALTORS®, The Voice for Real Estate®, the world's largest professional association.
The term "REALTOR®" is a registered collective membership mark that identifies a real estate professional who is a member of the National Association of REALTORS® and abides by its strict Code of Ethics.
Membership in SMAR offers a number of benefits, including access to real estate market data, discounts on education courses, and much more. Most importantly being able to use REALTOR® on your business card and your marketing materials sets you apart from a licensee.
We look forward to welcoming you as a member of the SMAR REALTOR® family!
Dues are prorated monthly. SMAR, Maryland REALTORS®, the National Association of REALTORS® have a no refund policy. In addition to the $200 application fee, total Dues include SMAR - annual dues of $350 (includes your SentriLock access); Maryland REALTORS® - annual dues of $218, a Maryland REALTORS® processing fee; NAR - annual dues of $150 and a $35 media assessment. Review the Dues and Fees Schedules before proceeding with the membership application process.
- As an applicant, you will be granted full SMAR primary REALTOR® member rights and privileges once you have paid your initial fees and dues (payable at the time of application submission).
- Your annual dues are due by November 1st each year. (Primary members are those who pay their state and national dues through SMAR and whose principal broker also holds membership in SMAR. Secondary membership is available only to REALTORS® who already hold primary membership in another association.)
- New Member Orientation class is a virtual class at SMAR. You will receive a registration confirmation for the next available New Member Orientation class.
- Bright MLS classes can be taken online or as a live training class at SMAR, registration is completed by the new member through Bright MLS portal.
- Membership dues shall be prorated for any licensee who during the same calendar year applies for REALTOR® membership in the association.
- However, membership dues shall not be prorated if the licensee held REALTOR® membership during the preceding calendar year.
- When are dues billed? Annually in late September
- Do I get a paper bill? No. Electronic invoices are available on the SMAR Member Portal
- How am I notified? Email notifications are sent four times a month through the dues renewal period (October - December) to those with outstanding dues. If you receive an email and you think you have paid, please contact SMAR immediately via email or at 301-274-4406.
- Does SMAR save my credit card information and automatically charge me each year for dues? No. SMAR does NOT save credit card information.
- Does SMAR retain all of the dues? No. SMAR only retains SMAR dues, which is $350 for the 2020-2021 dues year. The balance is transferred to the Maryland REALTORS® & NAR (National Association of REALTORS®) immediately when paid online.
- Are payment plans accepted? Unfortunately not. As stated above, dues to Maryland REALTORS® & NAR are transferred immediately.
- Is SentriLock included in the dues bill? Yes.
- What happens if I don’t pay my dues by December 1st? A $35 late fee is added on December 2nd.
- What happens if I don’t pay my dues by January 1st? An additional $35 late fee is added on January 2nd.
- What happens if I don’t pay my dues by February 1st? Membership is terminated on February 2nd. Access to SentriLock and SMAR Forms is cut off. Once membership is terminated, there is a $200 application fee to rejoin plus all outstanding REALTOR® fees. There is also a $50 reactivation fee for SentriLock cards.
**NAR’s “Board of Choice” policy allows NAR members to join any local association available in a state you are licensed.
*REALTORS Political Action Committee (RPAC): A $35 investment to RPAC is included in the total. The $35 investment will appear as a separate line item on the emailed receipt. RPAC is voluntary; it is not a mandatory fee. RPAC is the voice of REALTORS® on Capitol Hill. Since 1969 RPAC has been promoting the election of pro-REALTOR® candidates across the United States. In a recent federal election cycle alone, RPAC contributed over $12 million to pro-REALTOR® candidates to Congress, making it the number one trade association political action committee in the nation. Why has RPAC been successful? Because RPAC is not a charity. RPAC is a business.
On the national level, we give our money to those in Congress who both understand and support REALTOR® issues. We look to build the future by putting RPAC dollars in places that will help advance the interests of Real Estate professionals. RPAC is the only political group in the country organized for REALTORS®, run by REALTORS® and exists solely to further issues important to REALTORS®. Think of your RPAC contribution as an investment. The best investment you’ll ever make in your business and yourself. RPAC is your best insurance against poorly designed small business and commercial real estate legislation. If you’re not giving your fair share to RPAC, you’re not doing all you can to better your profession, your business, and yourself.
Why should I contribute to RPAC?
RPAC is the muscle behind NAR. RPAC represents over 400,000 politically active REALTORS® that members of Congress want as their friends. Recent legislative and regulatory successes include:
- The continued preservation of the mortgage interest deduction
- Tax relief benefiting the real estate industry
- Improving federal mortgage programs, allowing more families to join the ranks of homeownership
- Eliminating burdensome regulations inhibiting environmental quality and healthy real estate markets
How will my contribution be used?
100% of your contribution is used to elect pro-REALTOR® candidates: 70% remains in the state to be used in state and local elections. 30% of your contribution will be forwarded to National RPAC to fund key U.S. House and Senate races. Until your state PAC reaches its RPAC goal, 30% is sent to National RPAC to support federal candidates and is charged against your limits under 52 U.S.C. 30116. After the state PAC reaches its RPAC goal it may elect to retain your entire contribution for use in supporting state and local candidates.
RPAC is neither a Republican nor a Democrat organization. Your contribution to RPAC is a vote for a pro-REALTOR® Congress, regardless of political party.
Note: RPAC Contributions are not deductible for federal income tax purposes. Contributions to RPAC are voluntary and are used for political purposes. You may contribute more or less than the suggested amount. You may refuse to contribute without reprisal and the National Association of REALTORS or any of its state or local associations will not favor or disfavor any members because of the amount contributed
SMAR Affiliate members enjoy opportunities to network and build lasting business relationships with REALTORS® who likely will use or recommend their services, as well as other Affiliates who offer complimentary services. Lenders, title agencies, home improvement companies, financial service providers, and insurance companies are just a few of the many businesses that benefit from working with a SMAR REALTOR®. Note: Licensed real estate agents are not eligible for Affiliate membership.
Depending upon your business type, certain Affiliate members may also choose to utilize the SentriLock Lock Box System. Contact us here or at 301-274-4406 to receive more information.
REALTOR® Emeritus Members
Carl Baldus, Baldus Real Estate, Inc. La Plata, MD, approved for Emeritus status November 2011.
Bonnie Baldus Grier, Baldus Real Estate Inc. La Plata, MD, approved for Emeritus status November 2017.
Jan Barnes, Century 21 New Millennium, Inc. California, MD, approved for Emeritus status May 2017.
Sandy Curtis, Residential Plus Real Estate Services, White Plains, MD, approved for Emeritus status November 2018.
Frederick "Fred" Davis, Broker of Weller-Davis Real Estate and Swan Point, Inc., approved for Emeritus status November 2008.
Betty Drury, B & B Realty Mechanicsville, MD,approved for Emeritus status May 2012.
William J. Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald Realty Charlotte Hall, MD, approved for Emeritus status May 2019.
Roy Hart, Jr., Century 21 New Millennium California, MD, approved for Emeritus status May 2019.
Francis L. Jenkins, F.L. Jenkins, Realty Waldorf, MD, approved for Emeritus status May 2012.
Ronald "Ron" Leonard, Leonard Realty, Inc. California, MD, approved for Emeritus status May 2012.
Glenda Lytle, Century 21 New Millennium California, MD, approved for Emeritus status May 2019.
Fred Pumphrey, RE/MAX 100 White Plains, MD, approved for Emeritus status May 2015.
C. Michele Rockhill, Long & Foster Real Estate Prince Frederick, MD, approved for Emeritus status May 2017.
Joseph B Waters, J B Waters & Associates Prince Frederick, MD, approved for Emeritus status November 2011.
In 1981, the National Association of REALTORS® established the REALTOR® Emeritus program to recognize those who have held membership in the National Association of REALTORS® for a cumulative period of 40 years.
Any person who has held membership in the National Association as a REALTOR® or REALTOR ASSOCIATE® or a combination of both for a cumulative period of 40 years in one or more Associations of REALTORS®, is eligible for Emeritus status.
There is an application process. Contact your Local Association Executive for more information and to start the application process.
Dues - Members with emeritus status no longer need to pay dues to the National Association of REALTORS® or the Southern Maryland Association of REALTORS® in order to maintain their membership. Beginning with the 2016 dues invoicing, there will be a 50 year member requirement before MAR will recognize Emeritus status and waive dues for any newly qualified member.